Cookies ussage consent
Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to deliver better content and for statistical purposes. You can disable the usage of cookies by changing the settings of your browser. By browsing our site without changing the browser settings you grant us permission to store that information on your device.I agree, do not show this message again.
M. K. IKHWAN1, M. F. A. RAHMAN2, M. H. FATHELI3, F. S. M. SAMMSAMNUN4, H. HAROON1, A. A. LATIFF1,*
- Centre for Telecommunication Research and Innovation, Fakulti Kejuruteraan Elektronik dan Kejuruteraan Komputer, Universiti Teknikal Malaysia Melaka, Hang Tuah Jaya, 76100 Durian Tunggal, Melaka, Mal
- Fakulti Teknologi Kejuruteraan Elektrik dan Elektronik, Universiti Teknikal Malaysia Melaka, 76100 Hang Tuah Jaya, Melaka, Malaysia
- Melaka Submarine Cable Station, Telekom Malaysia Berhad, Pengkalan Balak, 74300 Masjid Tanah, Melaka, Malaysia
- Department of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
We demonstrated the usage of samarium oxide (Sm2O3) polymer film as a saturable absorber (SA) for generating stable Q-switched fibre laser at the C-band region. The SA was prepared by embedding a commercial Sm2O3 powder into polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) solution to form a Sm2O3-PVA film. The obtained film was then cut into a square shape of 1 mm x 1mm and adhered to the tip of fibre ferrule by using index matching gel. A stable Q-switching operation presence from 52 mW to 164 mW pump power at 1568 nm wavelength. Under this pump power, the repetition rate increased from 24.34 kHz to 55.80 kHz, while the pulse width reduced from 13.29 μs to 6.96 μs. The obtained Q-switching operation has a signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) of 38 dB with a maximum output power and pulse energy of 8.58 mW and 123.27 nJ, respectively. This finding shows that the Sm2O3 has good potential to be used as an alternative passive SA for the C-band all-fibre laser seed pulse.
Fiber laser, Q-switching operation, Passive saturable absorber.
Submitted at: Sept. 22, 2020
Accepted at: Aug. 16, 2021
M. K. IKHWAN, M. F. A. RAHMAN, M. H. FATHELI, F. S. M. SAMMSAMNUN, H. HAROON, A. A. LATIFF, Q-switched fibre laser using Samarium oxide for C-band region, Journal of Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials Vol. 23, Iss. 7-8, pp. 307-312 (2021)
- Download Fulltext
- Downloads: 1 (from 1 distinct Internet Addresses ).